|Ultrasonic Liquid Flow Measurement System|
Courtesy Flexim America
Ultrasonic flow meters measure flow indirectly by calculating transit time of a sound wave through, or reflecting from, a flowing fluid. The velocity of the fluid has an impact on the transit time, from which a flow rate can be calculated. Attributes of ultrasonic flow measurement that may determine suitability for a particular application include:
- Transducers can be clamped on exterior pipe surface where measurement is needed.
- Non intrusive measurement technology prevents contact between media and measuring elements.
- No significant pressure drop associated with measuring device installation.
- Reduced leak potential.
- No moving parts.
- Comparatively higher cost than some other technologies.
- Fluid characteristics must be well known for proper application.
- Pipe cross section must be completely filled by media to acquire accurate flow measurement.