- Requires no external power.
- Is a simple device that can be easily manufactured out of inexpensive materials.
- Linear scale.
- The clear glass tube is resistant to thermal shock and chemical reaction.
- Must be mounted vertically, with designated top and bottom, and with the fluid flowing from bottom to top.
- Graduations on a given rotameter are only accurate for a given substance at a given temperature. Separate rotameters must be used for fluids with different densities and viscosities, or multiple scales on the same rotameter must be used.
- Resolution is relatively poor and gets worse near the bottom of the scale.
- Oscillations of the float and parallax lend to reduced accuracy.
- Difficult to automate - primarily a manual / visual device
M.S. Jacobs and Associates, Inc.
810 Noblestown Road
Pittsburgh, Pa 15205
Toll free: 800 348 0089